Saturday, June 26, 2010

Letting go


5 min walk to the river from home. We are blessed.









Watching bark boats float down the river.




Sharifa Oppenheimer writes in Heaven on Earth  "If we give our children access to sand, water and free creative play, we offer them an open stage upon which to experiment in safety with life's big questions-who am I, where do I fit, what are my needs what do I have to give? All imaginative play offers this opportunity, but malleable sand and water carry a specific magic all their own." p 113
Today I am focusing on the amazing natural learning we have available to us today. I am grateful for a working washing machine and a clean change of clothes waiting neatly folded in a drawer.  For more nature stuff see The Magic Onions

9 comments:

Moment to Moment said...

Nothing quite like sand and water to get the creativity of our young children flowing...

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You can't over dose on nature. What fun LMF is having. The river will teach him so much.

melanie said...

The most fun Dylan and Carly and I had was in the dirt ans sand with water' giving them the freedom to enjoy it...well, its gold to kids.
You're wonderful to let him enjoy his freedom like that'
As you can imagine other mothers in suburbia thought I was mad, they understood why I might let my boy get grubby like that...but my girl...ha ha people are funny'
Dylan was Batman and Carly was Robin, where one went the other would follow.

Lynn Cohen said...

Beautiful. Nature and Children! A wonderful mix. Enjoy!

Serena Lewis said...

I think access to sand, water and free creative play works wonders for adults too. Lovely pics ~

Caroline said...

Bet he had so much fun! Lovely frosty illustration below too!

Julie said...

How lovely...and so true!

soulbrush said...

you couldn't give baby messyfish a better life if you tried! hey, he isn't baby messyfish anymore, he is boy messyfish now, and growing so fast.

Tricia said...

Its lovely to see what they learn playing in nature. Your lucky to have so much 'nature' near you. I'm focussing at the moment on finding space for my daughter to play in nature - but it can sometimes be a challenge living in a city.